- Muhammadiyah is the Islamic movement performing da’wah of amar ma’ruf nahi munkar, believes in Islam based on Al-Qur’an and sunnah, aspires to and works for creating true Islamic society who is blessed by Allah and does their duties as human beings, servants, and khalifah (caliph) of Allah on earth.
- Muhammadiyah believes that Islam is a religion from Allah revealed to His prophets, from Adam, Nuh, Ibrahim, Musa, Isa, to Muhammad as the last prophet. Islam is guidance and mercy of Allah to human beings and ensures their welfare materially and spiritually on earth and in the hereafter.
- Muhammadiyah implements Islam based on:
- Al-Qur’an: The holy book from Allah revealed to Prophet Muhammad.
- Sunnah: The explanation and implementation of Al-Qur’an performed by Prophet Muhammad based on common sense and Islamic teachings.
- Muhammadiyah strives to implement Islamic teachings which cover:
- ‘Aqidah (faith)
Muhammadiyah works for upholding pure Islam free from practices of polytheism, bid’ah, and khurafat (superstition) without neglecting tolerance principles in accordance with Islamic teachings.
- Akhlak (morals)
Muhammadiyah works for upholding noble morals based on teachings of Al-Qur’an and sunnah instead of man-created values.
- Ibadah (worship)
Muhammadiyah works for upholding worship guided by Prophet Muhammad without any additional changes from other human beings.
- Muamalah Duniawiyah
Muhammadiyah works for implementing muamalah duniawiyah (world management and public supervision) based on Islamic teachings and aimed to perform worship for Allah.
5. Muhammadiyah encourages all Indonesian people who have got Allah’s blessings as abundance of resources and independence of the Republic of Indonesia based on Pancasila and the 1945 Constitution, to work together to create a prosperous country blessed by Allah, baldatun thayyibnatun wa robbun ghofur.
(Pronouncement of Tanwir of Muhammadiyah 1969 in Ponorogo)
The formulation of the pledge was changed and revised by the Central Board of Muhammadiyah:
- based on the authority of Tanwir 1970 in Yogyakarta;
- adjusted to Pronouncement of the 41